If you are disabled and need to pay for certain types of disability supports (such as optical scanners or sign-language interpretation services) in order to work or go to school, you may be able to claim a deduction for your expenses.

If you are supporting an infirm dependant who is 18 or over and infirm, you may be able to claim the Canada caregiver amount. For 2018, the maximum claim is $6,986. It is reduced by your dependant’s net income in excess of $16,405.

You may also claim the Canada caregiver amount for children under 18 at the end of the year who have an impairment in physical or mental functions. The child must be dependent on others for assistance in attending to personal needs and care when compared to children of the same age. For 2018, the amount is $2,182.

KenoraOnline.com is Kenora's only source for community news and information such as weather and classifieds.