If you have employment income, make sure you claim the Canada Employment Amount. For 2018, it provides a 15% non-refundable tax credit on your first $1,195 of employment income.

Employees are not normally allowed to claim supplies unless they are directly used up in the course of their employment. However, employees who are tradespersons may be able to claim a deduction for the cost of tools over $1,195. There is a maximum claim of $500.

Wage loss replacement benefits are completely tax-free if you paid all the premiums to the plan. They are taxable if your employer paid all the premiums. If both you and your employer contributed to the premiums, you can reduce the taxable portion of the benefits by the premiums you paid.

If you have to move because your place of employment changes, and your new residence is at least 40 kilometres closer to your new job than your old residence, you may be able to claim moving expenses. Your expenses are limited to the employment income earned at your new location. However, any amount in excess of this can be carried forward and claimed next year instead.

KenoraOnline.com is Kenora's only source for community news and information such as weather and classifieds.