One new fire was confirmed in the Northwest Region by the early evening of August 13, 2021, according to an update from the Aviation, Forest Fire, and Emergency Services.
The newly discovered fire was:
- Fort Frances 129 is not under control at 0.1 hectares and is located near East Hardtack Lake, approximately 20 kilometres north of Atikokan.
At the time of this update, there were 101 active fires in the northwest region. 10 fires were not under control, 6 fires were being held, 7 fires were under control and 78 fires were being monitored.
To see the wildland fire hazard near you, visit our interactive map at Ontario.ca/forestfire.
Fires of Note
- Kenora 51 is 200,667 hectares in size and remains not under control.
- Kenora 51 remains 20 km north of Wabaseemoong on the northern side of Umfreville Lake.
- Fire behaviour is expected to increase over the next few days as sunny conditions, higher temperatures and lower relative humidity levels return to the fire area.
- On the fire’s west side, crews supported by bucketing helicopters are establishing hoselines and limiting the spread of the fire in the direction of the Davidson Lake area.
- On the fire’s southeastern flank, crews supported by bucketing helicopters are establishing hoselines in the Fletcher Lake, Rowdy Lake and Right Lake areas.
- Additional crews are expected to join the suppression effort over the weekend.
- Heavy equipment continues to develop fireguard to the east and south of the fire
· An Incident Management Team is established on the fire.
Red Lake 65
- The fire is 20,254 hectares and located 6 kilometres west of Poplar Hill First Nation.
- Crews continue laying and working hose lines on strategic areas of the fires. Heli-buckets continue to assist where needed.
- Fire behaviour is smouldering with some visible smoke
Red Lake 51
- The fire is 53,522 hectares and located approximately 24 kilometres west of Deer Lake First Nation.
- Crews are working hose lines along the east side of the fire.
- Fire behaviour is smouldering with some visible smoke.
- An Incident Management Team has been assigned to oversee this fire.
Red Lake 77
- The fire is not under control and is 32,799 ha, approximately 33 km west of Red Lake.
- Fire behaviour is smouldering with some open flame on the eastern flank
- Crews continue to establish hose lines working on the north east edge of the fire while Heli-buckets assisted with hot spots.
- Infrared scanning continues to be used on this fire to locate hotspots on the fire.
- Fireguard continues to be built east of the fire.