Photo by Quentin Mayhew


With Canada Day right around the corner, the Dryden Fire Service is reminding residents to be careful when using fireworks. They are urging people to make sure to read all included instructions, to stay away from trees or other flammable materials and have a hose or bucket of water ready.

People should make sure to carefully follow all safety precautions, and never mix fireworks and alcohol.

Dryden Fire Release:

IMPORTANT SAFETY REMINDERS FOR FAMILY FIREWORKS
The City of Dryden Fire Service advises that as the Canada Day long weekend approaches, many people will be purchasing family fireworks to celebrate the holiday. The public is reminded that you must be at least 18 years of age to purchase and set off fireworks. Carefully read and follow the labeled instructions on fireworks packaging which include the safety precautions and required clearances and set-backs.
To further minimize the risk of fire and burn injuries from fireworks, the following fireworks safety tips are provided:
Choose a clear, open space, away from buildings, trees, overhead wires and combustible materials. Spectators should stay back at a safe distance of 20 metres or more and keep all spectators, children and pets out of this area.
Appoint one person to be in charge and remember, alcohol and fireworks don’t mix together
Always keep a garden hose or pail of water close by.  
If not equipped with a base, firmly set the firework at least half its length in a bucket of sand or dirt, angled slightly away from spectators and check the wind direction and speed before lighting
If a firework is a dud or misfires, approach it with caution. Never try to re-light a firework. Leave it for at least 30 minutes and then place it in a bucket of water
Supervise the use of all sparklers, especially with children. Sparklers burn extremely hot and can ignite clothing and cause severe burns. Children should have only one lit sparkler at a time and should not wave or point the sparkler in the direction of other people. Sparklers may remain hot for several minutes after burnout and should be immediately soaked in water to avoid injury

For further information on rules and regulations, please contact the City of Dryden Fire Service at 223-1178.