13 new fires were discovered in the region by late afternoon on Thursday, July 15 with more reports yet to be investigated, according to the Aviation, Forest Fire and Emergency Services.
There are 94 active fires in the region. Thirty-two fires are not under control, seven fires are being held, 25 fires are under control and 30 fires are being observed. Hard work from Initial Attack FireRangers saw a total of 11 fires called out today.
The forest fire hazard is high to extreme across the district and the Restricted Fire Zone remains in place.
The new fires discovered are;
- Nipigon 47 is located near Prairie Lake, approximately 46 kilometres north/northeast of Longlac. The 0.1 hectare fire is not under control
- Red Lake 113 is located near Stone Lake, approximately 16 kilometres south of Red Lake. The 0.1 hectare fire is not under control.
- Kenora 97 is located near Walleye Lake, approximately 29 kilometres northeast of Minaki. The 0.1 hectare fire is not under control.
- Red Lake 114 is located in a remote area near Malaher Lake, approximately 130 kilometres northwest of Red Lake. The 232 hectare fire is being observed.
- Kenora 98 is located near Atikwa Lake, approximately 34 kilometres east of Sioux Narrows. The 0.1 hectare fire is being held.
- Red Lake 115 is located near the south shore of Stormer Lake, approximately 53 kilometres north/northwest of Red Lake. The 2.0 hectare fire is not under control.
- Red Lake 116 is located near the north shore of Coli Lake, approximately 35 kilometres north of Red Lake, The 0.1 hectare fire is not under control.
- Red Lake 117 is located west of Lee Lake, approximately 28 kilometres west of Red Lake. The 0.3 hectare fire is not under control.
- Kenora 99 is located south of Maynard Lake, approximately 18 kilometres northwest of Grassy Narrows First Nation. The 3.0 hectare fire is not under control.
- Sioux Lookout 56 is located in a remote area east of Pipestone River Provincial Park, approximately 92 kilometres north of Pickle Lake. The 0.2 hectare fire is not under control.
- Kenora 100 is located north of Separation Lake, approximately 40 kilometres north/northeast of Minaki. The 0.1 hectare fire is not under control.
- Sioux Lookout 57 is located approximately seven kilometres south of Cat Lake First Nation. The 0.3 hectare fire is not under control.
- Nipigon 48 is located near Big Canoe Lake, south of the Albany River, approximately 36 kilometres southwest of Marten Falls First Nation.
Fires of Note
- Kenora 51
- Fire is not under control at 84,545 hectares.
- Crews are maintaining sprinklers on structures in the vicinity of the fire
- Fire has been active over the past several days producing smoke at the local level
- Crews are establishing hoselines on sections of the fire
- 19 crews and 12 helicopters are assigned to this fire.
- An Incident Management Team is established on the fire.
- Red Lake 65
- Not under control at 12352 hectares
- Located approximately 10 kilometres west of Poplar Hill First Nation
- Crews are maintaining sprinklers on structures in the vicinity of the fire.
- Aerial ignition was used to bring to the fire to natural boundaries along Stout Lake.
- Continuous air attack on the southern and eastern edges of the fire
- Red Lake 51
- Being observed and remapped to 45776 hectares
- Located 26 kilometres west of Deer Lake First Nation
- Crews are setting up sprinklers on structures in the vicinity of the fire.
- Fire behaviour was low today but will increase as the forest dries out over the next few days.
- The Ministry of the Solicitor General is in the process of conducting an evacuation of the community.
- Red Lake 68
- Not under control at 21356 hectares
- Located southeast of Pringle Lake, approximately 55 kilometres northeast of Red Lake.
- 3 Crews are assigned to this fire.
- Crews are establishing hoselines on the west side of the fire
- Red Lake 77
- Not under control and has been remapped to 17120 hectares
- Approximately 36 kilometres west of Red Lake
- Crews are setting up sprinklers to protect communities and critical infrastructure
- Heavy equipment has been assigned to this fire