The powerplay remains hot for the Kenora U18 AAA Thistles (1-13-0) as it strikes again today (November 7, 2021) against the Pembina Valley Hawks (6-6-2), but it wasn't enough in a 4-2 loss.

Today's matchup was the second game of a weekend doubleheader. The Hawks prevailed yesterday (November 6, 2021) with the 4-1 win. 

Throughout the weekend Kenora finished 2 for 7 on the powerplay. Following the game head coach Scott Parsons commented on the productivity he has gotten from his powerplay as of late. 

"Urgency, understanding what we're trying to do with our time on the man advantage, and a little bit of luck. Overall it's looking way better but there's always going to be room to improve," says Parsons. 

It was a back and forth affair with both teams trading goals, chances, and hits. 

Kaden King was under fire for the second straight game as he faced 46 shots in the afternoon, while Kenora was only able to muster 20 shots on the Hawks Bryson Yaschyshyn. 

The Thistles would be in a 2-0 hole early into the first period after Carter Campbell and Carther Sotheran scored 1:11 a part to give the Hawks the lead. 

The shots after one period of play were 9-2 for the Hawks. 

The second period was controlled by the Hawks as they were in the Thistles end for most of the period.

Nearing the end of the period a boarding penalty would put the Thistles on a late powerplay. With 32 seconds left in the period, Evan Kabel took a pass from Branden Boress and fired one from the rightwing circle over the blocker of the Hawks goalie to make it 2-1 after two periods. 

The Hawks fired 25 shots in the period, while Kenora was able to get five of their own. 

Pembina Valley retook the lead just over six minutes into the third period when Griffin Ayotte found some space down the left side, came in and put one over the glove of King to make it 3-1. 

Brandon Gustafson would notch his third of the season to put Kenora back into the game only trailing 3-2. 

Jett Mintenko and Nickolas Fagnilli would get the assists. 

That was as close as the Thistles would get as the Hawks would add a late goal to sweep Kenora and win the matinee 4-2. 

Shots in the third were 15-6 for the Hawks for a three-period total of 46-20. 

Parsons saw steady improvement throughout the weekend. 

"Overall improvement defensively I would say. Some of the things we're trying to teach are starting to come across and showed through if you were watching the game today," said Parsons.

"The Hawks were pretty organized, they were working hard for the full 60 minutes, they were getting pucks in deep and going and getting after it. They were playing essentially a pretty simple game. The biggest thing was the effort level that they had. They weren't really making it easy for us," concluded Parsons. 

King takes the loss stopping 42 of 46, while Yaschyshyn notched his second win of the season. 

Kenora will play the second half of their four-game road trip next weekend when they travel up to Swan River, MB for a two-game series against the Parkland Rangers (6-7-2).