Even during Stage 3 of reopening, Dr. Ian Gemmill at the Northwestern Health Unit is reminding us to continue with public health measures.
"We will continue to monitor this because some of these places that are opening now are allowing people to be in closer contact," he said.
Masks can protect people from the spread of COVID-19, but they aren't mandatory in the northwest, the doctor noted.
"It's a precaution in case one of us -- who happens to have the coronavirus -- begins to cough," he said earlier this week.
To prevent any viral illness, including COVID-19:
- Wash your hands often with soap and water or use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose, and mouth with unwashed hands
- Avoid close contact with people who are ill
- Stay home when you are ill
- Sneeze and cough into your sleeve
- Clean and disinfect frequently touched objects and surfaces
- Practice physical distancing
- Be prepared
- Using a non-medical mask in public can help to slow the spread of COVID-19. Learn how to wear one properly
While most businesses and public buildings are reopening, the following remain closed:
- Amusement parks and water parks
- Buffet-style food services
- Dancing at restaurants and bars (other than by performers hired by the establishment following specific requirements)
- Overnight stays at camps for children
- Private karaoke rooms
- Prolonged or deliberate contact while playing sports
- Saunas, steam rooms, bath houses and oxygen bars
- Table games at casinos and gaming establishments.
The following are still considered higher-risk settings:
- All organized or spontaneous indoor and outdoor events and social gatherings (e.g., parties, fundraisers, fairs, wedding receptions, funeral receptions)
- Casinos, bingo halls and gaming establishments
- Concerts and live shows, including performing arts
- Convention centres and other meeting or event spaces
- Facilities for sports and recreational fitness activities (e.g., gyms, fitness studios)
- Recreational attractions, courses and instruction (e.g., fitness classes, music lessons, tutoring)
- Movie theatres
- Real estate open houses
- Sporting and racing events
- Tour and guide services (including boat tours)
For more information: