The provincial government and Indigenous Affairs Minister Greg Rickford has announced over $8 million to support economic development in Indigenous communities across Ontario.
Through the Indigenous Economic Development Fund, 26 community-led projects are seeing funding to support businesses, job creation and skills training.
"Our government is committed to working with Indigenous communities as an essential part of building Ontario together," said Minister Rickford. "We are proud to support these projects that strengthen local economies across the province and provide opportunities for economic development and job growth."
Northwestern Ontario projects include:
- Shoal Lake #40 First Nation - $100,000 – Shoal Lake #40 Small Business Hub Project
- Seine River First Nation - $46,000 – Update Community Tourism Strategy and Plan
- Nishnawbe Aski Development Fund - $700,000 – to invest in community projects
- Neskantaga First Nation - $91,020 – Strategic Economic Development Plan Project
- Webequie First Nation - $100,000 – Community Co-op Store feasibility study