The holiday season is upon us, and that means so are holiday safety hazards.
Kenora Fire Chief Todd Skene talked about the leading cause of fire during the holidays.
"The leading cause of holiday fires, of course, is cooking. It is every year and always has been. So, stay in the kitchen. That's probably the most important thing when you're cooking. Stay in the kitchen and watch what you're cooking," he said.
Skene also reminds residents to not overload their outlets when plugging in decorations, and if you have a real Christmas tree to water it everyday so it doesn't dry out.
"Christmas trees aren't a huge part of fires, but they do occur. They're very volatile, it doesn't take much to ignite them, and they go up very quick," he said.
The second leading cause of holiday fires is heating. Skene reminds residents to be careful when using portable heaters.
"If you're using heaters, electric heaters especially, make sure they're plugged into a CSA approved power outlet," he said.
He said it's best to plug heaters directly into the wall outlet, if possible.