Municipal staff in Vermilion Bay have issued a boil water advisory this morning, due to system failure.
Residents are reminded:
- The water should NOT be used for drinking,
- making infant formula and juices,
- making ice,
- washing fruits and vegetables, or
- brushing teeth.
For these purposes:
- water should be disinfected by boiling or
- purchased bottled water should be used
- Tap water must be brought to a rapid rolling boil for at least 1 minute.
- only boil as much water in a pot as you can comfortably lift and place the pot on the back burner of the stove to avoid burns.
- Throw out ice cubes made previously,
- disinfect the ice cube trays, and
- make new ice using boiled, cooled water.
Before the boil water advisory is lifted, the municipality must:
- send two samples for testing,
- take the two samples at least 24 hours apart and
- the water samples have to be considered safe for drinking.
Staff at the municipality note the lab used for testing isn't open on weekends.
For more information: