If you're choosing to bundle up and hit the trails this weekend, and number of them are groomed and open around Kenora, Dryden and Sioux Lookout. However, the A-trail between Kenora and Dryden is not fully open.
Sunset Trail Riders report their trails are open, with the exception of the trails to Redditt and Nopiming. While the trail to the Manitoba border offers some limited availability, connecting trails to Sioux Narrows may be closed.
While snowmobiling in this cold weather you might want to keep in mind:
- Loose fitting boots.
- Thick soles to get your feet off the snow.
- Even stand on a ThermaRest or any insulator that gets you off the snow when standing for extended periods of time.
- Boots with multiple REMOVABLE liners work well, rated for -40 if available.
- Removable liners allow you to completely dry out the entire boot.
- Loose fitting thermal socks (socks that are designed to wick the moisture from your feet and insulate as well.
- SmartWool is an example.
- Gloves that are windproof as well as warm.
- We sometimes duct-tape the back side of the gloves to keep out the wind.
- Ensure that the electric hand warmers are working on your sled.
- Use the small (chemical) hand warmers inside gloves and boots.
- Wear the full face helmet instead of the motocross helmet with goggles.
- Use the breath guard to protect your face from frostbite.
- Stop periodically to check your friend for frostbite.
For more information: