Firefighters from McKenzie-Clearwater found a cottage fully-engulfed on Lake of the Woods Monday afternoon. The fire marshall's office is working with police, as they investigate the cause of the fire. The inlet is located just west of Kenora near the Manitoba border.
Firefighters got the call around 1 p.m., but with travel time they weren't able to save the building. Investigators aren't sure yet, if anybody was inside at the time of the fire.
Winter fire safety tips:
- Indoors or outside, always use CSA approved lights. Check each set of lights, new or old, for broken or cracked sockets, frayed or bare wires, or loose connections, and throw out damaged sets.
- Do not remove fireplace embers or ash, or if you do, place them in a metal container with a lid and cover them with water. Do not place them in a plastic or paper bag or other container that is not fire-resistant. Do not dispose of them indoors or close to your home or another structure.
- Keep anything that can burn at least three-feet away from heating equipment, like the furnace, fireplace, wood stove, or portable space heater.
For more information: