Health Canada says that one home in every 14 across Ontario contains unsafe levels of radioactive radon gas – and northwestern Ontario is at a higher risk than most across the province. 850 Ontario residents die each year from radon exposure.

The Northwestern Health Unit says that radon is a dangerous gas that comes from the breakdown of uranium that is found in rocks and soil. It gets into basements through cracks, pipes and drains. The gas can slowly build up inside of a home over time.

When breathed in, radon gas can cause damage to a person’s lung tissue, which can lead to lung cancer. The risk of lung cancer from radon gas can increase if the person breathes in large amounts of the gas over a long period of time, or if they smoke cigarettes or other tobacco products.

“When you’re exposed to radioactive gas over a long period of time, that can put you at a high risk for lung cancer,” said Lung Association of Ontario spokesperson, Sarah Butson.

“You can’t see it, taste it or smell it – but it is dangerous; particularly with long exposure and high levels of radon. It’s a leading cause of lung cancer, especially if you smoke. If you smoke and you’re exposed to radon, you’re at an even higher risk.”

In the Kenora-Rainy River District, close to one in every four (23.7 per cent) of lung cancer deaths are due to radon exposure. Radon is the second-leading cause of lung cancer in the province. In a 2013 study, the Radon Environmental Management Corporation found that northwestern Ontario had high levels of a relative radon gas hazard.

The only way to know if the gas is present is to perform a radon test in your home using a personal testing kit, or have your dwelling inspected by a professional. Based on the Canada Health guideline, exposure to radon levels “at or above 200 becquerel per metre cube of air, presents a health risk to people.”

The most common method to reduce radon gas in a home is called Active Soil Depressurization. This involves drilling a hole in the foundation floor, and installing a fan which will draw radon gas from under the foundation and inside the building, and vent the gas outside.

November is National Radon Awareness Month. Ontario is the only province that has warranty protection for excessive radon for new homes – bought within the last seven years.

The health unit presented the following safety tips to residents:

- Avoid putting bedrooms in the basement (where radon levels are the highest).

- Spend most of your time on the main levels of your home, not in the basement.

- Test to find out if there is radon in your home. Testing should take place for a minimum of three months during the winter in the lowest lived-in area of your home.

- Radon testing kits can also be purchased at most hardware stores or online.

- If your home test shows that you have unsafe levels of radon, get the problem fixed by a professional. 

For more information:
Northwestern Health Unit – Radon
Ontario Radon Map

More Local News

Suspect apprehended

Police have apprehended a man, following a hold and secure at Kenora schools this afternoon. At around 2:10 p.m. members of the Kenora OPP detachment responded to an incident in the north side of the…

Hold and secure in Kenora

A hold and secure was been put in place for students in the Keewatin-Patricia District School Board, as well as the Kenora Catholic District School Board. Senior staff from both school boards are…

CIBC branch manager provides update for customers

CIBC Branch manager Jackie Hailstone said Sunday's fire on Main St didn't impact the inside of the building too badly. "The inside is actually not too bad. We have more concerns around the outside of…

Main street clean up joint effort

No word yet on when Main St in Kenora will reopen to vehicular traffic. The clean up of the street is a joint effort between the Kenora Fire & Emergency Services Department, Kenora OPP and City of…

Kenora mayor proud of how the community stepped up

Kenora Mayor Dan Reynard said it's always difficult when tragic events happen in the community, such as Sunday's fatal fire in downtown Kenora. "Such a tragedy anytime we see, or feel, a loss of life…

Kiiwetinoong member lobbies for at-risk youth

Kiiwetinoong member Sol Mamakwa is lobbying for more help in the Far North, when it comes to children in care. At Queen's Park, he again questioned the government's cancellation of the child…

Tragedy and Heroes

Kenora fire chief Todd Skene is still working with investigators and business owners, after yesterday's fire on Main Street. "On behalf of the city, our thoughts are with the person, who passed away,…

Smell is 'pretty bad,' says Bargain Shop manager

Ceiling tiles look in tough shape at the Bargain Shop.Tina Desaulnier manages the Bargain Shop on Main Street, and she describes conditions she found, when she opened up this morning, "The smell…

Tenant, relative still recovering

A sacred fire is burning today in front of the Fellowship Centre. Charles Rochelieu was among those paying their respects, after he escaped from yesterday's fire. "I was in Lila's Block sleeping. The…

Main Street Kenora open to pedestrian traffic

Main St in Kenora is once again open to pedestrian traffic. The street had been closed since yesterday at noon, when emergency crews received the call about a fire, which resulted in the demolition…

KenoraOnline.com is Kenora's only source for community news and information such as weather and classifieds.

Login