The province's Special Investigations Unit (SIU) is appealing for witnesses, after an OPP officer was involved with a driver last month in Kenora. Investigators say the interaction took place near the junction of the east highway and River Drive. The driver was later treated for serious injuries.
On December 16, at approximately 3:52 a.m., a member or the Kenora OPP conducted a traffic stop in the City of Kenora on River Drive. After speaking to the driver, it was determined that he had been consuming alcohol and he was arrested at the scene.
The driver was later charged with:
- Resisting arrest
- Assaulting a peace officer
- Uttering threats or causing bodily harm
At this time, two investigators have been assigned to this incident. One subject officer and eight witness officers have been designated. The SIU is urging anyone who may have information about this investigation to contact the lead investigator at 1-800-787-8529 ext 1886. The Unit is also urging anyone, who may have any video evidence related to this incident, to upload that video through the SIU website.
The SIU is an arm’s length agency that investigates reports involving police where there has been:
- serious injury or
- allegations of sexual assault.
Under the Police Services Act, the director of the SIU must consider whether an officer has:
- committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation depending on the evidence,
- lay a criminal charge against the officer, if appropriate, or
- close the file without any charges being laid report the results of any investigations to the Attorney General.
For more information: