Local crews with the Aviation, Forest Fire and Emergency Services branch of the Ministry of Natural Resources and Forestry are keeping busy, as they responded to 16 new fire starts yesterday afternoon.
At this time, there are 71 active forest fires in the region, with 16 of those fires listed as not under control. Three fires are currently being held, five are under control, and 47 are under observation.
The MNRF notes that warm temperatures and lower relative humidity levels across most of the region are creating receptive conditions for previous lightning strikes over the past several days to emerge from the ground as fires.
- Fort Frances Fires 62 and 63 are located in the Pipestone lake area, approximately 65 kilometres north of Fort Frances. The 0.5 hectare (#62) and 0.2 hectares (#63) fires are not under control.
- Dryden Fire 64 is located near Quest Lake, approximately 86 kilometres northeast of Ignace. At 0.1 hectares the fire is not under control.
- Sioux Lookout Fire 134 is located near Strout Lake, approximately 53 kilometres west of Pickle Lake. The one hectare fire is not under control.
- Dryden Fire 63 is located near McHugh Creek, approximately 12.5 kilometres east of Dinorwic. The 0.1 hectare fire is not under control.
- Sioux Lookout Fires 132 and 133 are located east of Bamaji Lake, approximately 86 kilometres southwest of Pickle Lake. Both 0.1 hectares, the fires are not under control.
- Red Lake Fires 181 and 182 are located north of Pringle Lake, approximately 68 kilometres north of Red Lake. At 0.1 and 0. 5 hectares respectively, the fires are not under control.
- Red Lake Fire 180 is located east of Goose Lake, approximately 92 kilometres northeast of Red Lake. The 0.1 hectare fire is not under control.
- Sioux Lookout Fire 130 is located near Fairchild Lake, approximately 69 kilometres northeast of Sioux Lookout. The 0.1 hectare fire is not under control.
- Red Lake Fire 179 is located near Hanton Lake, approximately 52 kilometres northeast of Red Lake. At 0.1 hectares, the fire is not under control.\
- Nipigon Fire 65 is located south of Hebner Lake , approximately 155 kilometres north of Greenstone. The 1.0 hectare fire is not under control.
- Fort Frances Fire 61 is located near Clarkson lake, approximately 6.5 kilometres east of Nestor Falls. The 0.1 hectare fire is not under control.
- Red Lake Fire 178 is located approximately four kilometres northeast of Pikangikum. At 0.1 hectares, the fire is not under control.
- Kenora Fire 120 is located east of Caviar Lake, approximately 29 kilometres east of Sioux Narrows. The 0.1 hectare fire is under control
The fire hazard is mainly high across the Northwest Region with areas of extreme hazard in the Kenora, Dryden and Fort Frances Districts, and the Restricted Fire Zone is still in effect.
The use of open fires, such as campfires or burning of debris is not permitted. Portable gas and propane are allowed but must be safely managed.
Failure to comply with a Restricted Fire Zone could result in a fine of up to $25,000 and three months in jail, as well as the financial responsibility for the costs incurred in fighting a forest fire caused by the illegal act.
For more information:
New funding to fight forest fires