Students in the cooking class at St Thomas Aquinas High School got a visit from the The Kenora Fire Department yesterday. They were taught the proper way to extinguish a grease fire. Firefighter Larry Cottam talked about the visit.
"They're getting to that age where they're cooking a lot now, and teaching them the right ways to do things is always good. It just gives them some training and confidence, if they ever do have a fire, how to use an extinguisher properly and the different types of fires that they apply them too," he said.
The students took turns trying to extinguish the controlled fire with water, and then fire extinguishers to see the difference.
Student Kendaaz White talked about what he learned.
"Don't put water on because it will make it spread more, and the fire extinguisher puts it out easier," he said.
Don't use water to try and put out a grease fire. Pouring water can cause the oil to splash and spread the fire.