The bears are out and about.
So, police are reminding walkers and hikers to be aware. Dogs should be kept on a leash, as they may provoke a bear attack.
If you're in immediate danger, call 9-1-1. The Bear Wise toll-free number can be reached 24 hours a day, if you see bears roaming around.
Tips for preventing bears from visiting your neighbourhood include:
- Storing garbage in waste containers with tight-fitting lids.
- Only put garbage out on the morning of pickup (may already be a local by-law).
- Filling bird feeders, including seed, suet and nectar, only during the winter when bears are hibernating.
- Cleaning food residue and grease from outdoor barbecue grills after each use.
- Keeping pet food indoors.
Call the toll-free Bear Wise reporting line at 1-866-514-2327 (TTY 705-945-7641)