It's Fire Prevention Week and this year's theme is "Every Second Counts: Plan 2 Ways Out!". This week focuses on families to practice their home fire escape plan. In a fire, you may have just seconds to safely escape your home. Be prepared in advance with there simple steps, provided by the City of Kenora Fire & Emergency Serviecs, for home fire escape planning:
• Assess the needs of everyone in your home. Identify anyone who requires assistance to get out of the home safely, such as small children or older adults.
• Make sure that you have working smoke alarms on every storey of the home and outside all sleeping areas. Make sure everyone in the home knows the sound of the smoke alarm.
• Identify all possible exits (doors and windows) and make sure they work Know two ways out of all areas, if possible.
• Everyone must know what to do when the smoke alarm sounds Assign someone to help those who need assistance. Identify a safe meeting place outside. Call the fire department from outside the home – from a neighbour’s home or a cell phone.
• Practice your home fire escape plan at least twice a year Have everyone participate. Make changes to your plan if necessary.
Kenora Fire and Emergency Services can assist anyone in building their Home Fire Escape Plan. If you have any questions or require any help please contact 467- 2090 or drop by Station One, 100 Fourteenth Street North, during Fire Prevention Week.